Jump with Jill is a school assembly that travels the country transforming nutrition education into a rock & roll nutrition concert. The assembly takes childhood obesity by storm, serving as a kid-appropriate approach for kicking off wellness committee initiatives, reinforcing classroom learning, and supporting a healthier cafeteria menu. The show is both educationally sound and completely rock & roll. Armed with catchy songs, upbeat dance moves, and a hip wardrobe, Jump with Jill uses the same tools normally used to sell junk food and keep kids sedentary to get kids engaged, moving, and learning about healthy habits. The live Jump with Jill show has been performed live 1,000 times for 250,000 kids all over the United States and Europe and has been featured in national media outlets including Nickelodeon, Sprout PBS, NPR, and The Washington Post.
Created by Registered Dietitian and musician Jill Jayne, the show, music, and curriculum are all built on singable messages that make healthy habits memorable:
- RESPECT YOUR BODY: This is my body! You only get one. Exercise and eat healthy to show your amazing body the respect it deserves. You make the decisions around here.
- FUEL YOUR ENGINE WITH THE BEST ENERGY: Your body is your engine. When you fuel your body with healthy foods, your engine can perform at its peak.
- GET GOIN’ WITH BREAKFAST: Start each morning with a healthy breakfast to activate your body and mind for a rockstar day.
- ENJOY NATURE’S CANDY: Choose fruits like watermelon, apples, bananas and kiwi for their naturally sweet flavor.
- EAT SUPERPOWER VEGETABLES: Discover your superpowers. Join the ranks of your favorite superheroes by powering your plate. Vegetables give you healthy skin, hair, muscles, eyes, and bones. United against junk food, we will be victorious!
- EXERCISE DAILY TO MAKE THE BEAT OF YOUR BODY (Woot! Woot!): Your heart, lungs, and muscles have to be strong, because when you’re exercising, your body makes a song. So get those rhythms pumping every sort of way, so you can be your strongest each and every day.
- DRINK WATER: Make the clear choice. Answer your thirst with the refreshment that stands out from the crowd.
- REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE: Your choices. Your body. Your world. Refill your water bottle. Find the recycling bin. Love those hand-me-downs for their retro stylings. Build the future you want now.
- PUT ON YOUR SPECIAL GLASSES TO SEE THROUGH THE GIMMICK: When cartoons, toys, or famous people are on your food, take a closer look to make me sure you aren’t getting tricked into eating unhealthy foods. Use your brain, not your stomach, to decide what to eat.
- GET YOUR CALCIUM ON: Grow strong. Eat dark, leafy green vegetables and low fat dairy foods like milk, yogurt, and cottage cheese to get the calcium strong bones need.
Jump with Jill is not just kids stuff – target the kids, and adults will follow. Consider inviting parents to the performance to get the messages into the home. Staff is asked to participate in the performance to model the behaviors we ask of the students. The show, and the CD, provide teachers with reinforcement tools for future lessons. Jump with Jill is an experience. Invite everyone who plays a role in your school or community to attend the show. You can shape health culture, not just individual habits.
Live show run time: 1 hour
Middle and High School Assembly
Jump with Jill for middle and high school students includes the usual Jump with Jill rock & roll nutrition show, supplemented with a more in depth look at the influence of advertising on body image, nutrition, substance abuse and peer pressure. The show explores how advertising works and reveals the truth about the most heavily advertised products including energy drinks and fast food. The show celebrates individuality and encourages students to be critical consumers.
Live show run time: 1 hour
Jump with Jill for preschool features the same approach as the elementary version, only with an entirely new age-appropriate set of music. Goin’ on a Journey: Songs for Every Body will transform the day’s mundane routines into singable anthems – for parents and kids alike. In fact, the CD was considered for a 2012 Grammy nomination for Best Children’s Album. The Journey travels to these healthy choruses:
- This is my amazing body, so I’ll keep eating right and exercising because it’s my amazing home.
- Fuel your choo choo train with healthy foods.
- Enjoy nature’s candy, fruit!
- Give new foods a second try, even if they are yucky the first time.
- Do jumping jacks like Jill!
- Everything you want to do takes practice, so don’t give up until you find your favorite sport.
- Let’s do The Water Polka!
- When you need to use the bathroom, let an adult know you have business to do.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle!
- Wear sunscreen when you’re having fun in the sun.
- Get your bubbles on at bath time!
- Before you go to bed you gotta brush your teeth.
- Dream about doing it all again tomorrow.
Live show run time: 40 minutes